Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Flipping PD

Next week I will be helping to lead a half-day in-service around the ELA CCSS for writing for K-5 teachers.  I will have about 40 minutes with each group before they move on to another session.  I have decided to shake things up a little and flip my session.  If you are not familiar with term flipping as it applies to education, keep reading.

"It started with a simple observation: Students need their teachers present to answer questions or to provide help if they get stuck on an assignment; they don’t need their teachers present to listen to a lecture or review content.From there, Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams began the flipped classroom: Students watched recorded lectures for homework and completed their assignments, labs, and tests in class with their teacher available. What Bergmann and Sams found was that their students demonstrated a deeper understanding of the material than ever before."
From iste.org

There are many ways you can employ this method, and you can find examples below.  For my purpose, I am going to have teachers visit my blog where I will have posted sites, videos, and articles around how to use technology to teach the Writing Common Core Standards.  Teachers will be charged with choosing a few to explore on their own, and to come to class with questions and/or things they would like to share.  During our time together, we will have a conversation about what resources people have explored, what they liked, how they envision using the tool with their students.  After our conversation, I will allow more time for exploration and problem-solving.

Visit this blog after next week to see how it went.
Five Ways to Flip Your Classroom With The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment