Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Trying Out iBooks Author

I have been playing around with iBooks Author.  When it first came out earlier this year I was psyched at the implications for teachers creating multi-media books for their courses and students.  I couldn't wait to test it out, but just recently set aside the time to really play with it.  A few of my administrators and teachers have asked for more information about the technology expectations embedded in the new Common Core State Standards, and I thought, what better way to share the information than through an iBook (all of our admins have iPads).  Not only will this make the information easier to access and interactive, but it can also demonstrate some of the potential for creating our own iBooks in our district.

As I previously posted I attended Matt Henchen's iBooks Author workshop at VT Fest.  He shared some great tips and resources, which you can find on his blog: http://www.vermonteducator.com/ibooks/

After that workshop I was more equipped to embed more versatile gadgets that allowed me to embed YouTube videos and browser links (Thanks, Matt!).  I also realized it might work better if I broke my book into sections or chapters and published them in a smaller file size to make distribution and downloading easier for all involved.  So after playing a little more over vacation, I finished the first section of my first iBook, ELA Writing CCSS and Technology (catchy title, huh).  If you are interested in checking it out, I am embedding the PDF in this post.  The links should work fine, but the video clips will not work.  If you would like the iBook, just contact me by email: paquettea@hartfordschools.net or Twitter: @HartK8 and I'll send it to you.

ELA Writing CCSS and Tech Book

No comments:

Post a Comment